Digital Media Manager – TV News Check
KCCI-TV, the Hearst television station and CBS affiliate in Des Moines, is seeking an experienced Digital Media Manager, a cross-platform reporter to execute our station’s digital strategy and media content initiatives for the platforms. current and future.
Des Moines was listed as the ninth best place to live according to US News and World Reportwhich ranked Des Moines among the top five most affordable and best cities to live in and Habitability.com calls Des Moines a millennial hotspot. Elegant Colonial and Tudor-style homes built in the early 1900s hide in quiet neighborhoods just minutes from bustling downtown, where lofts and condos draw the millennial crowd. Many families with children are flocking to the suburbs where new housing developments are continually popping up. And there’s plenty to do and see in Des Moines. Cultural events and festivals attract all ages to downtown. Unique shops, local restaurants and trendy bars enliven the entertainment districts. And plenty of bike paths and parks (and even a few lakes) provide opportunities for outdoor recreation.
The Digital Media Manager helps develop and execute the strategy and tactics to achieve our journalistic, content and business goals.
This position reports to the News Director, but will also work closely with corporate and station digital content staff, other newsroom managers, and heads of promotions and sales departments.
You will be responsible for creating and curating unique content for all digital platforms.
You will work with our news teams, producers and editors to assign, produce and promote content on a daily basis.
This person will also work with the sales department and the creative services department.
The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of digital technology as well as strong writing and copywriting skills.
- Online content and operations management. This includes selecting and writing material for all of our digital platforms.
- Develops and guides the execution of strategies to achieve digital goals.
- Creatively develops unique content, event coverage and project ideas for web, mobile and social media.
- Brings a constant sense of urgency, immediacy and real-time strategies to digital news content and project development.
- Works to develop content during breaking news.
- Works closely with digital editors, news crews and producers coordinating and producing content for digital platforms and television.
- Leverages next-generation information gathering to deliver content ownership both daily and during major news or breaking events.
- Actively participates in daily editorial meetings. The goal is to lay the foundation for a consistent cross-platform workflow that guarantees unique and solid content.
- Participates in weekly meetings of the Director of Information and Marketing.
- Works closely with the News Director to refine the digital workflow. Coordinates consistent training of web and news staff to contribute to all digital platforms (gathering and field presentation); maximize best practices to involve the whole station as regular contributors.
- Team lead in leveraging social networks like Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to provide superior news coverage and marketing. Works closely with Marketing to prioritize customer growth and engagement on Facebook and email.
- Key innovator of digital projects involving news, sales and creative services departments aiming to create solid revenue-generating content and projects.
- Works daily with Creative Services to identify opportunities to leverage marketing tactics that support digital strategy. Participates in regular, weekly marketing discussions with CSD to push marketing opportunities across multiple platforms.
- Interface with digital media executives (editorial operations, product innovation) and other HTV digital managers on small, medium and large news and content projects.
- Leads staff on best practices for optimizing content areas of home web and mobile platforms.
- Identifies videos with viral potential for syndication partners such as YouTube, Yahoo, AOL, MSN, etc.
- Regularly communicates relevant metrics (i.e. Google Analytics, comScore) regarding digital growth and trends to the News Director, Managing Director and necessary staff; special attention is paid to hourly and daily tactics based on daily Google Analytics and Newsbeat.
- Builds or is able to scale the construction of web initiatives; working knowledge of HTML required.
- Uses a working knowledge of SEO and tactics to improve traffic generation from search.
- In-person attendance is required.
- Must have at least three years of experience as a writer for a news website.
- Must have a working knowledge of digital technology
- Related experience and/or training considered as well as a combination of education and experience.
As part of its ongoing efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Television requires all newly hired employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against coronavirus prior to the first day of employment as a condition. of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.